The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner has released information to help you understand your privacy rights if you choose to download the COVIDSafe app.
It answers questions about:
- what the COVIDSafe app is and how it works
- if you have to download the app
- the type of information that the app will collect about you
- how your information will be used
- how the Australian Government is making sure your privacy is protected
- when your data will be deleted
- how you can make a complaint.
On 14 May, the Parliament passed the Privacy Amendment (Public Health Contact Information) Act. This Act supports the COVIDSafe app and gives people who download it strong privacy protections. These include:
- any data that is collected about you must be deleted when you delete the app
- all data collected must be deleted at the end of the COVID-19 pandemic
- the Minister for Health must report on how well the COVIDSafe app is working every six months.
Australian Government Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
Australian Government Attorney-General’s Department