A participant may feel overwhelmed by the various levels of detail involved in the preparation of a plan under the NDIS. It may be useful to break down the elements that need to be considered, develop a list of answers for the key questions, and gradually compile needs and preferences to be incorporated into planning.
Statement of goals and objectives
- What are the participant’s goals, objectives and aspirations? (Can the participant picture the future he or she wants?)
- What barriers prevent the person from achieving them?
- What supports does the person need to achieve them?
- What is the participant’s environmental and personal context, including living arrangements, community supports and social and economic participation?
- What does the person value in this context?
- What elements does the person wish to keep?
- What elements does the person wish to change?
Statement of participant supports
- How involved does the participant wish to be in identifying the supports to be provided?
- What supports are needed?
- How involved does the participant wish to be in managing funds for supports?
- How should funds be managed?